Testing Interest - BJCP Exam, January 28, 2017

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
Testing Interest - BJCP Exam, January 28, 2017

Hi CHAOSites.  A National BJCP  judge and friend, John Dalton, and I have secured a Chicago-area tasting exam on the BJCP calendar for January 28, 2017.  We are doing this as a service to Chicago-area clubs and competitions, who continue to need more credentialed judges.  

It is over a year away and, independently, Kyle N. and Jeff W. are working on organizing a CHAOS judging class for those interested in becoming judges.  At this point, I’m not guaranteeing anyone a spot on the exam - it is too far out.  But, I am informally testing  the level of interest among club members.  

If you think you might be interested in taking the BJCP exam John and I are organizing in January 2017, or would like to at least explore the possibility, would you please let me know?  Again, I’m not taking RSVPs or guaranteeing anyone spots at the exam.  Just testing interest and starting a list.  Reply to this thread if you’re interested.  

Jim

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
Here's the link for the BJCP

Here's the link for the BJCP website for those who may be unfamiliar and would like to poke around a bit.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask and the BJCP judges in the group will be more than happy to answer. 

It should be noted that taking the classes and exams aren't just useful to judge beer at homebrew competitions. I wouldn't hesitate to say the majority of what you learn will go directly into improving your own brewing, regardless of if you judge at comps or not. You can take the classes/exams, never judge, and still benefit greatly from the organization and materials. I highly recommend you do judge, though, since competitions are always in need of more experience! 

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
I would be intersted in

I would be intersted in retaking the exam to move up my current ranking.
Thanks Jim, Kyle and Jeff for organizing the classes and exam.

pricelessbrewing
Web-only, member since
If I'm still in the area, I

If I'm still in the area, I'll take it.

johngammal
Alchemist, member since
I'm definitely interested in

I'm definitely interested in this. Thanks Jim, Kyle, and Jeff!

ICEHOUSE 666
ICEHOUSE 666's picture
Brewer (Intro), member since
If seats exist, I would be

If seats exist, I would be interested.

Canuck
Canuck's picture
Alchemist, member since
I'm interested

I'm interested

The emperor is not as forgiving as i am

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
To build off Kyle's last post

To build off Kyle's last post: The class will give you a deep understanding of beer and the brewing process. Taking the BJCP exam is not a requirement to sign up for the class. So, even if you don't want to be a judge and just want to know more about brewing, you should think about taking the class. 

Pete
Pete's picture
Alchemist, member since
I would be interested as well

I would be interested as well

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

AJ
AJ's picture
I'm very interested! (as well

I'm very interested! (as well)

brockboland
brockboland's picture
I'm interested, at least a

I'm interested, at least a little bit. I'd definitely like to take the class, but I'm not sure yet if I want to take the exam.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
We need a few more judges and

We need a few more judges and stewards for the CHAOS/Nielsen Massey competition on the morning of December 12th. This would be a great opportunity for those of you interested in the exam and/or class to get some experience with a competition. You do not need to be certified to judge.

If you are interested in judging or stewarding next week, please send me an PM.

Jeff W
Jeff W's picture
Alchemist, member since
I should also add that you

I should also add that you can judge or steward if you have a beer in the competition.

forgette
forgette's picture
Interested in class

Interested in class (depending on when offered and  my work travel schdule). Depending on class, may be interested in exam.

weswsimpson
weswsimpson's picture
I am interested in the class

I am interested in the class and the test, thanks!  Wes

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
Hey CHAOS,

Hey CHAOS,

I just want to do a shout out and congratulate our fellow members Jim Vondracek and Kyle N on their performance of their recent Judging exam that advanced them to a higher ranking! Looks like we'll have a few more National Judges in the house in addition to our past president JamesLewis. It's tough to climb this high to the top, only about 15% of all BJCP Judges rank National or higher, so great job guys, you deserve a beer!

If you want to try and be as cool and knowledgeable as them... you should sign-up for this class they are teaching!

Congrats!

Kyle N
Kyle N's picture
Alchemist, member since
Thanks, Nancy! I won't

Thanks, Nancy! I won't technically be National until April, however. I am jetsetting around for the next month and half to get my points! 

Big congrats to Jim V! He definitely knows his stuff and is a great resource for the club! 

johngammal
Alchemist, member since
Either way, you did it!

Either way, you did it!  Congrats you two!

Jim Vondracek
Jim Vondracek's picture
Alchemist, member since
For a club as young as CHAOS

For a club as young as CHAOS to have three active National judges reflects really well on the club's vitality - unlike some clubs, we're not just a beer drinking club, we're actively involved in the homebrewing community.  I judge at about 10 competitions per year and represent CHAOS, hopefully well, at each of them.  

Having the National rank means that Kyle and I will often be the senior judges in a flight and sometimes judge in the best of show round - and doing so while wearing our CHAOS shirts.  We'll also be engaged in BJCP-specific activities - I'm now an exam grader, for example.  That also raises the club's visibility in an important homebrewing circle.  

I'm delighted to be able to call CHAOS home!  

chirocky
chirocky's picture
Apprentice, member since
I think it's awesome.

I think it's awesome. Congrats guys!

AJ
AJ's picture
Jim, 

Jim, 

Any new developments on this front? Jan '17 is quickly approaching.

Markparis
Any seats still open? I'd be

Any seats still open? I'd be interested as well. First time I've seen this post!